Monday, March 7, 2011

Cat Bin Lady


Lola, a neighborhood cat was discovered making noises in a garbage can that caught peoples attention, so they went to go and check it out. After the home owners checked the security footage, they seen a lady petting the cat, and then placing the cat into the garbage can. The couple decided to post this video online in an attempt to find out who this woman was.
Once the woman was discovered, she had to be put into police protection because of the threats she started receiving. A Facebook and twitter page was made about her and her actions, and she her address had been posted on the Internet so she need to go into police protection.

I think that this lady's actions were wrong. I am not sure why she would think it would be funny to place a cat into a garbage bin, but that is besides the point. I think that having a Facebook and twitter page about her actions is completely out of line. I understand that these two social media sites is how a good chunk of people get their information, but I think it is absurd to make a social networking page about it.

She put a cat into a garbage bin. Yes there is something wrong with this, but now she is in police protection. I just feel like this was blown way out of proportion and I believe it happened because of the Internet and the media websites. People online like to have fun with stories such as this by making certain pages, but they don't realize the affect it could have one people. Facebook was forced to take down the page based on the Cat Bin lady, but as far as I am concerned, the damage was already done.

I don't think there will ever be solid consequences for actions like this because it is to difficult to single out one individual or party that posts things that are out of line. I think that the reasons things are posted aren't to achieve justice, but to just make it known what is going on out there and to get others fired up to see what kind of response we can get out of people. I don't see how it is beneficial by any means, but then again, that is just my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, having social sites dedicated to witch hunts is overboard. It's good to hold people accountable for their actions, but sometimes going overboard on the punishment can backfire. Look at Bernie Madoff's situation. Sure he committed terrible acts, but not everyone in his family should have been harassed endlessly. The result... his son (who went to UM-Ann Arbor) committed suicide. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40617952/ns/business-consumer_news/

    ReplyDelete