Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Trolling and Strolling


I been in a Talking Heads mood lately. So I went on Youtube and viewed their song " Cities" live in Rome from 1980. Great track live. As I am looking at the video, I realize that I never really look at the comments because ideally I am just excited I found the video and song. So, because of the awareness of this class has bought to me, I looked at the comments and I actually figured out what Trolling meant and seeing the comments made me realize how much people love to pile on.

Its true. When we see someone fall from a distance on a sheet of ice we laugh and say " Wow that sucks hahaha". But they never hear it. Or when your driving and you see someone pulled over by a cop. Your first thought? " Sucks to them oh well.

On the Youtube video for " Cities" as Tina Weyworth the bassist for the Talking Heads starts to move to the groove of the song, someone posts " I have a huge boner". Nice, so now when I see the song that is a thought that could pop in someone's head.

The NY times article I read had a interesting fact about this issue or problem in terms of a disorder.Psychological research has proven again and again that anonymity increases unethical behavior. Road rage bubbles up in the relative anonymity of one’s car. And in the online world, which can offer total anonymity, the effect is even more pronounced. People — even ordinary, good people — often change their behavior in radical ways. There’s even a term for it: the online disinhibition effect.

The Aspects of Self points out the piece about a virtual world and how we put ourselves out there.Its true I believe people put a version of themselves out there for the virtual world to see. For example, the quiet person at your work or school could be a angry blogger posting in secret on how much they hate the latest pop sensation. You would never know who they are because the virtual world provides a way to be a different from the true self.

Trolling is to me, acting out what sometimes is not the social norm. You can be a bully in the cyberworld because you might not be in the real world. I often believe people want to try out things but are afraid to but with the internet expanding by the seconds, you can be a different self.

My view of the trolling situation is sad. But people who are in pop culture should know with their fame will come comments. It is in our nature to pick on people who are doing better than us. We just do it now for the whole world to see in the privacy of your wifi hotspot.

No comments:

Post a Comment