Monday, February 14, 2011

Online Deception and The Internet Tough Guy

 
I actually laughed when I saw this week’s blog topic.  First, let me discuss online deception to which I have been a victim.  Several times, specifically from on-line dating websites I have been played a fool.  For example, I would show up at agreed upon public meeting place only to find the individual nowhere near the resemblance of the posted pictures.  Literally, years older, heavier you name it.  Hell, sometimes they wouldn’t even show up!  If someone is in their 30’s why post a picture at age 25 when it’s obvious you will be exposed?  I can’t put my finger on motive, but only offer assumptions.  Maybe they figured a dimly lit bar would hide their current appearance?  Moreover, a few drinks and all are forgotten?  Doesn’t everyone look like a movie star with the lights off?  Let’s not forget the most powerful makeover tool available to the common person, PHOTOSHOP!  Anyone with basic computer skills can use this program to whiten teeth, remove acne, clear up dark circles, and take a high angle photo that would make one’s body rival Kim Kardashian.  I wouldn’t consider myself Chris Hanson, but there are a few “red flags” to save face. Ladies, please understand I realize men do this as well, and I am just providing examples from personal experience.

·         Guys if a woman looks like a bikini model chances are the profile is fake
·         Be mindful of professional pictures, they could be fakes as well
·         Look at photo time stamps, if the picture is from 2005, chances are they don’t look like that now

Next, let’s move on to what I call the “internet tough guy.”  This is the person that hides behind their monitor bitching and moaning about everything.  The internet gives the common man a voice.  It is a way for some to vent.  A wise man once told me, “Never battle people on internet message boards, because you never win.”  Unfiltered comments drive web activity.  Maybe that is why they are not removed?  What fun is it when everyone agrees?  Sure unfiltered comments raise a free speech debate, but isn’t that our right?  Plus, I do believe a website or ISP cannot be responsible for what an individual posts ( Zeran vs. AOL).  Meaning, the individual can be sued, but the website or ISP cannot.   People feel comfortable ranting online because they can remain anonymous.  It’s pretty cut and dry.  The problem with that is you are labeled a coward.   Then again it is a lot easier to share true feelings virtually. 
I can’t offer a set of guidelines to combat deception.  Just be safe, and go with your gut.  It seems online scams and deceptions mainly prey on the elderly.  Most people are not naïve.  I can tell you this much; if you receive an email from someone in Nigeria asking for money, delete it immediately!    

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you! Online dating sites can be so tricky! It is so easy for someone to lie about their entire life, just to meet someone. Its just how older men try to pick up younger girls via chatrooms. They can fool younger children so easily, because children don't understand how easy it is to lie over the internet. Children don't understand how to be safe or go with their gut. Thats why parents need to closely monitor their childrens online activity.

    I know my comment went the other way from dating website, but it just brought the thought to my mind. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mainly when I think of online deception I am reminded of "To Catch A Predator." That was one of my favorite shows! I always found it funny as to how stupid the men were. Whenever Hanson would show the chat logs of said predator their screen names were priceless...Either they would have some ridiculous name like spankmywhiteass6969, or they would use their actual real name...Comedy gold I tell ya...

    ReplyDelete