Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Library? For Research? Who does that?


When was the last time any of us actually went to the library to research information for a project? I can't remember the last time I went and searched through books to find out information. Most students use google and the Internet to find out information for projects.


"I wouldn't depend on it (Wikipedia) as a source, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a student writing a research paper." - Nicholas Carr. As students, we need to be smart when researching for projects. So much information is posted all over the Internet, and as students we need to recognize which is truthful and which isn't. Wikipedia is a great source for information, but anyone can add their thoughts and comments to this website, so how accurate is it really?


According to this article, Wikipedia is equally accurate to other encyclopedias. I guess that's up to you, and your judgement. I am going to agree with with Nicholas Carr, and I won't be using Wikipedia for researching information regarding my school work.


With the web, information is traveled to us so quickly, but it is up to us to choose what to believe or not to believe. There have been tons of tweets and Facebook statuses about the tragic events that have been happening in Egypt. I am sure that the majority of them have been true, but I am sure that some of them have delivered us false information. We choose to use the Internet to get our information because we can receive it so quickly, so we take the information and run with it, instead of taking the time to look at a reliable source, and learning from them.

2 comments:

  1. The door to door Encyclopaedia sales man has now moved to lap tops! I wouldn't be surprised if some students in our class even knew what a card catalog was! I still get "we had to type papers on a typewriter," from my older sister...Man I feel old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I used a book for a paper was last semester. The majority of the information came from online sources, however. I think I only used a few sentences from the book.

    ReplyDelete