Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You Have Removed This Ad. Why Didn't You Like It?

  I hate feeling like I'm being watched, but on the internet, you can't really help that. Like some of my classmates have mentioned, this "tracking" has been happening since before the internet was around. All you had to do was look at a sales summary to see what items were most popular, and then TADA, more ads for that product geared towards those who buy it.
  Because my name isn't directly linked to my preferences, I'm okay with it. If these agencies were actually in my house with a clipboard, writing down my every move, then I might be a little offended. But honestly, they're just doing me a favor at this point. I don't want to be on Facebook and see ads for male pattern baldness or plumbing equipment - I want to see things I'm interested in, that might show me a website I might also become a fan of.
  I do have one ad tracking success story that comes to mind.... I'm a huge fan of U of M, and my weakness as a female is shoes. One day an ad popped up on Facebook for a website called Simple Shoes and they were offering U of M printed shoes! And on sale! I scored a great limited time deal (9.99, free shipping) on a pair of shoes that are normally $50!
  As far as these companies and ad agencies becoming big brother, I don't think that's the case. They're simply trying to stay in business by catering to their most loyal (and likely) customers. And the websites they advertise on are genius for letting them do it, because it keeps Facebook free for me, and I hardly notice the ads anymore anyway!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think the whole big brother aspect has been blown out of proportion in most cases. For example, candy at the supermarket is easily found by kids. Companies figured out long ago that if they placed displays a couple of feet off the floor, kids would be able to grab the candy themselves and ask the parents to purchase it. Trying to make products more accessible to their target market is nothing new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an interesting point that we often don't even notice the ads - so, to some extent, is targeted advertising even worth all the hullabaloo? That said, I wonder what you think about the idea of law enforcement tracking activity online, as in the Facebook "Big Brother" article. Is this a different situation from targeted advertising?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to say that the FB ads are way better than Google or others.

    Jen...that's the point I wanted to bring out but didn't think people here worried about it. In this new age of "terrorism", the gov't is keeping track of everybody online...FB is an amazing and friendly tool for this ;) I have a few friends being tracked by the fed gov't and being shut down from FB or censored. Not to mention that FB will share your personal email address, phone numbers, names, etc. to the fed gov't if you are deemed to be a potential threat by writing comments on your page!

    People may think this is paranoia but it is happening!

    ReplyDelete